The 2022 Virtual Mining Health and Safety Conference is now only two days away! This year Covergalls is attending. Please make sure to come visit and say hello to us at our exhibitor booth.
Curious about the event and want to know more? We've got you covered! Covergalls caught up with Paige Spillane, who works with Workplace Safety North, to ask a few questions:
- What does "Unearthing the way forward" mean to you/Workplace Safety North?
Our world has changed, priorities have shifted, and the way we work and the world in which we work have adapted rapidly. As the mining industry continues to navigate the future of work, it is essential to keep health and safety at the forefront, now more than ever.
The theme “Unearthing the way forward” means mining moving forward and the future of mining, following the pandemic. The clients we serve are deemed essential workers, so they have managed and continue to work through it.
The event brings together Ontario’s mining industry to share knowledge and innovations regarding safety programs and hazards specific to mining.
- How has preparing for this year's conference and the theme "Unearthing the way forward," been different from past conferences/events?
The 24th annual conference moved online for it’s third year due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Health and safety are at the heart of who we are and what we do, so the health and safety of staff and attendees is our top priority. We are so looking forward to getting back to a live, in-person conference – hopefully next year.
- What do you hope for attendees to get out of attending the 2022 Virtual Mining Health and Safety Conference?
The free event themed, “Unearthing the way forward” features two keynote speakers, as well as a trade show and industry panel.
- Dr. Linda Duxbury, human resources and work-life balance expert, talks about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on employees and companies, the importance of organizational culture, and how companies can address this moving forward.
- Danny Taillefer, Ontario Mine Rescue Officer, speaks on the three-day mine rescue evacuation; reviewing the events, challenges, and solutions to ensure all mine workers returned home safely to their families.
- The workplace mental health panel, ‘Below the Surface,’ wraps up the conference with an informal discussion among industry leaders exploring mines and minds.
The Information Exchange Trade Show will be a highlight of the conference and delegates are encouraged to visit exhibitor booths to learn more about their products and services. Attendees can join a live meeting or request more information.
New this year – a virtual scavenger hunt! Attendees will have a set of tasks to complete throughout the day. The 50 attendees with the highest points will win a swag bag, featuring a 2022 conference ball cap. (Limited to Ontario residents).
The scavenger hunt begins at 8:00 am on Wednesday, April 27. Don’t miss your chance to participate!
- How will the virtual platform for the conference work? Can you interact with the speakers during the keynote/panel sessions?
We are hosting the conference on the PheedLoop virtual platform. This platform features networking opportunities for attendees in the “Networking” tab. Participants are encouraged to visit the 18 exhibitors featured at the Information Exchange Trade Show in the virtual “Exhibit Hall.” Attendees will have the opportunity to take part in the “Gamification” scavenger hunt, and view expert presentations.
Each presentation includes time for audience questions. Attendees are encouraged to submit a question in the Q&A section at the bottom of their screen.
Attendees can also join the conversation in the lobby chat or at the Workplace Safety North exhibitor booth. WSN representatives will be available throughout the day answering questions.
- Is there anything else that would be helpful for attendees, or those interested in attending?
The conference is offered as a one-time-only viewing and presentations will not be recorded.
The online event will run from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm ET and it is being offered for free to all workers and employers interested in the topics of work-life balance, confined space rescue, and mental health.
The event is free to attend and those interested can register on the WSN website, here: https://www.workplacesafetynorth.ca/subsite/2022-virtual-mining-health-and-safety-conference
We would like to thank our many sponsors and exhibitors who make this possible, including Covergalls!
Keynote sponsor: A.J. Stone Company
Platinum sponsors: Redpath Mining Contractors and Engineers, Glencore Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations, Vale
Gold Sponsors: Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals, Electrical Safety Authority, Provix